Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bye Bye Birdies

For 13 years, birds have nested in the eaves right outside my front door every spring.


One night a couple of weeks ago I opened my door to take my dog for a walk and was greeted by this...
I was so excited, I knew they were back.  I looked up and saw this...
The only trouble they ever seemed to have experienced, was when I have had the audacity to walk out my front door.  They don't like it and I get squawked at and dive bombed!


I decided that this year, I would sprinkle some sunflower chips in a plant by my door so that the parents wouldn't have to go far to get some food for their babies...
This morning I heard a loud noise.  I looked around, my dog still asleep in a chair near me (she's back in the same spot but awake, temporarily I'm sure) had not even moved, but admittedly that is not unusal...
Then more noise.  Great, I've got a creature in my house.  I wonder if it's a mouse, a rat or a rabid bat?  


I soon realized that the sound was coming from outside my front door and it sounded like birds were "touching" my front door.  This was a relief because I did not want to deal with a mouse, rat or bat.  The activity at my front door went on for about 10 minutes.

I was so happy, they obviously discovered the sunflower chips I sprinkled in the flower pot...

About an hour later, I decided to go down to see if I should put more chips in the pot.

OMG - the beautiful nest was upside down on the ground.  I gently turned it over...

remnants of egg yolk and shells on my doorstep...
yolk running down my door frame...
on the threshold...
on the doormat...
I fear that me putting the food so close, another bird(s) became aware of and went after the nest.


The past 2 weeks there has been a lot of birds chirping and singing all day at my house.  Today it is eerily quiet.  The eave is empty...
Does anyone know if now that the safe haven has been discovered by a predator, is the spot useless?

Other than not putting food in the immediate area (I feel like an idiot), is there anything I can do to provide protection?



Will they re-use the nest?  I've left it outside, it's SO beautiful - look at the intricate work...
Yes, in case you are wondering, I am really upset with myself for not going down to the front door immediately as I may have been able to prevent it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love bird nests! We have sparrows that nest in the top of a column on our porch every year. They are in a prime spot. For the most part, predators cannot get to them. We always say we're going to block it off because it's SO GROSS when they eliminate all over the white column. But I LOVE animals and we enjoy watching them bring food back for the babies.
    FWIW, a cat used to hunt around our birdfeeder. It scares them off for a few days but they always come back.
    As far as houseplants go... I kept coming out last summer to find mine totally dug out of their pots. It was a huge mess and I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw a fresh walnut peeking out of the soil in one of my plants. The squirrels were burying them in the pot and then digging them up!!
    (Sorry for the long comment, too much wine I suppose)

    ReplyDelete